Monday, August 15, 2005

Foghorn Leghorn

We had a scene right out of an old Warner Brothers cartoon last night. About 3 am hubby wakes up to loud squawking and barking and much goings on in the yard. He heads out with a stick and a flashlight to find 1) our largest rooster missing most of his tail feathers and looking stunned 2) our retriever mix, Jennie standing guard and looking confused 3) a large 'possum - playing possum. My husband - ever the wildlife expert - walks up to the possum and explains that he "ain't that stupid." (I love how my California punk has assimilated so well into the South) After a couple of pokes with the stick, the possum realized he'd better get a move on. The dog then got most irate and saw the hissing critter off with much barking and growling. The rooster is fine, although missing some of his dignity this morning.

I remember scenes just like this on Saturday morning cartoons. Foghorn Leghorn is now living in my yard. I'm waiting for some chicken hawks and an ostrich. I can just see Miss Prissy looking on and batting her eyelashes.