Sunday, May 22, 2005

Dance, dance, dance

Dance week is finally over. This was my 7th season as a dance mom and I've got hell week finally figured out. The kids have rehearsals every night followed by 4 performances in quick succession. I was prepared with a stack of library books to read while waiting, confiscation of all costumes to my bedroom (somehow pieces disappear when the kids keep them), practical black shoes to wear backstage, and a smile for all the beautiful dancers as they enter and exit the stage. I've learned that my old stage hand skills are quite useful backstage, and I try to read W.'s mind as much as possible. W. is the director of the kids dance studio. She is so amazingly talented. She makes our moderately talented children look like they were born with her skill and grace (instead of the 2 left feet of most of us parents bequeathed them!) She puts on a real ballet - not just a recital- and it's just wonderful. Brava! Bravo! Now if I can get enough rest for the next one....